Assistant Professor in Vision Studies (non-tenure stream), University of Pittsburgh School of Education
The School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh invites candidates to apply for an assistant professor outside of the tenure stream position in Vision Studies. We seek a colleague to join the Vision Studies program in teaching and advising students as well as coordinating the Vision Studies Program. The ideal candidate will be dually certified as both a teacher of students with visual impairments and an orientation and mobility specialist.
The primary responsibilities of this position will be to teach core program courses in the teacher of students with visual impairments and/or orientation and mobility degree tracks. Additional duties will include program administration, such as admissions, assisting with internship placements and supervision. The course load for this position is 27 credit hours over 12 months. The position will begin September 1, 2019.
● Earned doctorate, prior to appointment (degree must be posted prior to August 15, 2019), from an accredited university in special education or a related field with an emphasis in blindness and visual impairment.
● Evidence of substantive knowledge in skills and pedagogy unique to students who are blind and visually impaired;
● Evidence of professional experience, expertise and leadership is important, such as professional credentials and activities, or professional presentations and publications that reach professional scholar and practitioner audiences;
● Demonstrated evidence of teaching excellence with undergraduate and/or graduate students;
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
● Preference will be given to individuals who are dually certified or, if singly certified as a teacher of students with visual impairments or an orientation or mobility specialist, those willing to obtain the other certification within three years of hire.
To apply, please submit a letter of application addressing your qualifications for the position, a current curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation at, and evidence related to success in teaching at http://www.education.pitt.edu/facultysearch/. For questions about the submission process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the position, contact the search chair, Dr. Tessa McCarthy (email@example.com). The initial review of applications will begin on November 5, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.