Faculty - Assistant Professor - Teacher Education, Elementary Education
: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
The Elementary Education department at Utah Valley University is seeking a full time tenure track Assistant Professor to teach undergraduate and graduate teacher education courses in methods of teaching elementary mathematics and other courses as deemed appropriate. Engage with partner school district teachers and administrators in clinical teacher preparation as well as in supervision of students in field placements, student teachers, and interns. Provide service to the university and community, support collegiality, and uphold professional and ethical standards. Engage in scholarly activities and/or creative endeavors which contribute to the academic mission of the university, college, and profession. Support the implementation of a teacher performance assessment and the accreditation process.
-Graduation from a regionally accredited institution with an earned doctorate in teacher education with an emphasis in elementary mathematics education required (or ABD with dissertation defense scheduled and received by time of appointment).
-At least two years of successful college/university level teaching experience in a teacher education program required.
-Successful college/university level teaching experience teaching courses in Elementary Mathematics Methods
-Evidence of scholarly potential
-Earned professional teaching license (Elementary Education)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of content, skills, and dispositions required to teach mathematics methods and other relevant program courses to pre-service teachers
- Knowledge of current teaching and supervision skills related to pre-service teacher education
- Knowledge of and willingness to uphold professional and ethical teaching standards
- Familiarity with the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators Standards for Preparing Teachers of Mathematics
- Knowledge of national trends in teaching mathematics including the Common Core, NCTMs Mathematics Teaching Practices, and other research-based activities
- Skill in managing a productive environment for teaching and learning
- Skill in providing timely and effective feedback to pre-service teachers
- Excellent communication skills
- Skill in content and course integration
- Ability to teach effectively in a serious, student-centered environment
- Ability to engage in critical professional issues and innovations, including teacher performance assessments
- Ability to communicate and relate positively with colleagues, students, and K-12 personnel
- Ability to serve on School of Education, university, and other professional committees
- Ability to uphold a collegial teaching and working environment
Work is normally performed in a typical classroom/office work environment.
Lifting up to 10 lbs.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
FAC17517 Elementary Education Faculty 02/28/2018
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/4959
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.